ABOUT THE COURSE
Have you came across these headlines?”Charity scams target people’s generosity amid Russia-Ukraine conflict”, or “Woman jailed for embezzling nearly S$1.5 million from charity, lost most of it in love scam”.
Charities, like any other organisations, are also vulnerable to various crises presented in the charity landscape. From malicious individuals impersonating your charity in elaborate scams, to internal parties potentially misusing company resources for personal gains. Crisis, when not managed properly, can be exceptionally damaging to your charity’s reputation.
When crisis occurs, it will sweep through your organisation quickly, leaving you little time to think of mitigation. Therefore, it is pivotal to have a crisis action plan in place. Our Effective Crisis Management for NPOs course will teach you how to prioritise top threats, ensure proper delegation of roles and responsibilities, and deploy proven strategies to help manage crisis when it comes.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
By the end of the programme, participants will be able to:
- Understand and appraise the charity landscape to identify potential crises.
- Formulate crisis management policy and framework to guide the organisation.
- Assess crisis-related risks and business impacts.
- Implement strategies to remove and reduce crisis risks.
- Prioritise top threats and assign ownership and responsibility.
- Develop a Command Centre, educated, trained and tested to ensure the workability of plans.
- Understand what a crisis communications team is with clear allocation of spokesperson and draft announcements.
- Define a spokesperson’s readiness for media.
- Develop awareness and prevention of losses through scams.
- Your organisation’s vulnerability to crises.
- Lessons from recent scandals and failures in the charity sector.
- How to anticipate potential crises:
- Major disagreements by board, senior management in media.
- Disruptions to operations and information systems.
- Big frauds or scandals.
- Cyber risks and phone scams.
- Non-compliance with laws and regulations.
- Identify major crises that would disrupt or cripple your organisation.
- Essential Crisis Management Processes:
- Perform detailed risk and business impact analyses.
- Assign crisis management responsibility through Command Centre.
- Define and test crisis activation and escalation criteria and test.
- Prioritise the top threats and explore the strategies to remove/reduce the impacts.
- Develop an internal and external communication plan.
- Ensure resources are allocated/assigned to manage crisis.
- Formulate a road map for crisis management for your organisation.
- Post-crisis reviews and action plans.
The course is taught across 16 hours, with lectures, videos, case studies, group discussions, checklists, *invited speaker(s).
For 4 or more participants from the same organization, 1-hour post-session coaching will be provided
*Invited speaker(s) may be pre-recorded.